Featured Events From March:
- 9 March, 1895 (13 Adar, 5655): Moshe Feinstein-yertziet
- 10 March, 1949 (9 Adar, 5709): Flying of the ink flag
- 1 March, 1920 (11 Adar, 5680): Joseph Trumpeldor
- 4 March, 1987 (3 Adar, 5747): Jonathan Pollard-court case
- 10 March, 1998 (12 Adar, 5758): Rav Hayim David HaLevi-yertziet
Rav Hayim David HaLevi-yertziet
Ivri Date: 12 Adar, 5758
English Date: 10 March, 1998
Rabbi Hayim David HaLevi (1924/5-1998), also written Haim David ha-Levi, etc. (הרב חיים דוד הלוי), was Sephardi Chief Rabbi of Tel Aviv-Yaffo. He was born in Jerusalem and studied under Rabbi Ben-Zion Meir Hai Uziel at the Porat Yosef Yeshiva. When R. Uziel was appointed Sephardi Chief Rabbi of Israel, he hired R. HaLevi as his personal secretary and as a close student. He then served as the rabbi of various cities in Israel:
- Romema, Jerusalem.
- Served in IDF during War of Independence
- Rishon Le-Zion (as Chief Rabbi of that city, 1951-1973)
- Israel's Chief Rabbinate Council (beginning in 1964)
- Tel Aviv-Yaffo (beginning in 1973, taking over from R. Ovadia Yosef).