Featured Events From January:
- 16 January, 1948 (5 Shvat, 5708): Lamed He the convoy of the 35 brave soldiers that were on their way to Gush Etzion
- 21 January, 1882 (1 Shvat, 5642): Establish of bilu movement
- 27 January, 1945 (13 Shvat, 5705): The International Holocaust Remembrance Day
- 17 January, 1991 (2 Shvat, 5751): Operation Desert Storm in Iraq started
- 20 January, 1998 (22 Tevet, 5758): Zvulun Hammer - Aזלשרש
Establish of bilu movement
Ivri Date: 1 Shvat, 5642
English Date: 21 January, 1882
Bilu (Hebrew: ביל"ו; acronym based on a verse from the Book of Isaiah (2:5) "בית יעקב לכו ונלכה" "Beit Ya'akov Lekhu Ve-nelkha" ("House of Jacob, let us go [up]") was a group of Jewish idealists aspiring to settle in the Land of Israel with the political purpose to redeem Eretz Yisrael and re-establish the Jewish State on it.
The wave of pogroms of 1881-1884 and anti-Semitic "May Laws" of 1882 introduced by Tsar Alexander III of Russia prompted mass emigration of Jews from the Russian Empire. More than 2 million Jews fled Russia between 1880 and 1920. Vast majority of them emigrated to the United States, but some decided to make aliyah.