Featured Events From May:
- 17 May, 1945 (5 Sivan, 5705):
- 28 May, 1929 (18 Iyar, 5689): Bnei Akiva-youth Movement Of Religious Zionists-established
- 18 May, 1965 (16 Iyar, 5725): Eli Cohen-executed
- 18 May, 1860 (10 Iyar, 5620): Herzel Day
- 24 May, 1991 (11 Sivan, 5751): Operation Solomon-The begining
Ivri Date: 5 Iyar, 5708
English Date: 14 May, 1948
It falls on the 5th of the Jewish month of Iyar, celebrating the declaration of the state of Israel by David Ben-Gurion in Tel Aviv on May 14, 1948 (5 Iyar, 5708), and the end of the British Mandate of Palestine.
An official ceremony is held every year on Mount Herzl, Jerusalem on the evening of Yom Ha'atzmaut. The ceremony includes a speech by the speaker of the Knesset (the Israeli Parliament), a dramatic presentation, a ritual march of soldiers carrying the Flag of Israel, forming elaborate structures (such as a Menorah, Magen David and a number which represents the age of Israel) and the lighting of twelve torches (one for each of the Tribes of Israel). Every year a dozen Israeli citizens, who made a significant social contribution in a selected area, are invited to light the torches.