Featured Events From September:
- 27 September, 2007 (15 Tishrei, 5768): Rav Avraham Shapira
- 1 September, 1935 (3 Elul, 5695): Rav Kook Yahrzeit
- 20 September, 1944 (3 Tishrei, 5705): Jewish Brigade-established
- 4 September, 1953 (24 Elul, 5713): Rav Ben-Zion Meir Hai Uziel-yertziet
- 15 September, 1914 (24 Elul, 5674): yertziet of David Wolffsohn
yertziet of David Wolffsohn
Date Hebraica: 24 Elul, 5674
Data Inglês: 15 September, 1914
Wolffsohn was born in Darbėnai, Lithuania, to religious parents - Isaac and Feiga. He received an observant religious education from his parents and in 1872 was sent to Germany to avoid conscription into the Russian army. He settled in Klaipėda, where he met Rabbi Yitzhak Rilf, who accepted him as a student. Rilf taught Wolffsohn the German language and mathematics, and introduced him to the Hovevei Zion movement.
Wolffsohn became a merchant and toured eastern Germany. There he met A. D. Gordon, from whom he borrowed many of his ideas regarding Zionism.
Wolffsohn was elected as the vice president of the World Zionist Organization in the World Zionist Congress of 1905, and in 1907 became its president.